Presenting and Cross-Examining Financial Experts
Presenting and Cross-Examining Financial Experts is an intensive one-day program for attorneys who call upon valuation, damages and other financial professionals to serve as testifying experts in legal matters.
The program will focus upon strategies for the persuasive presentation of business valuation and damages experts and effective cross-examination of opposing experts.
We will explore the ways that the financial expert’s credibility is impacted through the challenge of credentials, assumptions, methodology, evidence and professional standards. The clinic will include live mock trial segments during which attorney participants will have the opportunity to present and cross- examine experienced financial experts, and be critiqued by our seasoned faculty members.
Upon completion of the program, attendees will be able to:
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in a valuation or damages expert’s analysis and opinions.
- Develop direct examination to highlight the strengths and insulate the weaknesses of a financial expert’s opinions.
- Implement examination approaches to enable the financial expert to explain complex valuation, damages and other financial concepts in terms that are understandable by the judge and jury.
- Develop strategic cross-examination focusing upon the vulnerabilities of a financial expert’s analysis and opinions.
- Recognize and control defensive tactics employed by seasoned experts.
- Understand the communication approaches and dynamics that facilitate credible expert testimony.