The Truth, The Whole Truth, Storytelling & Persuasion:
Powerful Expert Testimony Using Proven Storytelling Techniques
September 27-28, Chicago IL
Early Bird Registration: $995
After Sept 5: $1,095
Jesse Wilson - Communications Specialist and Jury Trial Consultant
Michael G. Kaplan - Forensic Expert and Educator
Act I - The Challenge
As every trial lawyer knows, the best story wins. Stories are the ultimate tools of persuasion — they are the emotional glue that connects you – the expert witness - to the jury. You may be the most skilled, the most educated and the most respected expert in your discipline, but in the courtroom, this is not enough. To be persuasive you need to frame your direct testimony into a compelling narrative, so that jurors don’t just listen ...they care… and they embrace your opinions.
An unfortunate reality is that expert witnesses are often very factual, speak tech talk and deliver testimony without much flavor. For the expert testimony to be effective, it must be part of a compelling story.
Act II – Tell the Winning Story
In this hands-on workshop we will take a deep dive into the Eight Fundamentals of Breakthrough Communications in storytelling. We will work individually with each of the participants as they embrace these skills and focus upon how to use them persuasively in a professional environment. We will then guide each participant through the incorporation of these skills into their testimony. We will work with each participant in the defining of the expert’s story, the integration of the key components of the expert’s opinions into the story, and strategic approach to telling the story in a manner that is professional and objective, but also compelling and supportive of counsel’s theme.
Act III – The Courtroom
On day 2 of the workshop we put things into action. We move into a courtroom setting where each participant will take the witness stand and give expert testimony. Each participant expert will first develop an outline of direct examination questions (for presenting counsel) that will elicit the story that presents the most compelling direct testimony. We will guide each participant through the delivery of their direct testimony including presentation of their qualifications, assumptions, methodology, evidence, analysis and opinions in a manner that is both persuasive and compelling. Cross-examination of each expert will follow. After the testimony has concluded, our seasoned faculty members will provide a positive and constructive critique of each expert.
Upon completion of the program, attendees will be able to:
- Utilize techniques to weave the three universal laws of powerful storytelling – conflict, struggle, resolution – into your communications with the jury.
- Integrate “left and right brain strategies” to maximize your connection to the jury and maximize your overall effectiveness in litigation.
- Implement the communication approaches and dynamics that facilitate credible expert testimony.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in an expert’s analysis and opinions.
- Develop direct examination testimony to highlight the strengths and insulate the weaknesses of the expert’s opinions.
- Implement testimony approaches to facilitate complex financial, technical, scientific and other concepts in terms that are compelling persuasive and understandable by the judge and jury.
A TWO-DAY WORKSHOP PRESENTED BY COURTROOM BOOT CAMP AND TELL THE WINNING STORY